10 Things You Can Do To Avoid Fraud
Aug 1, 2017
QuickBooks Phishing Scam
Feb 16, 2017
Don’t Click on Phony QuickBooks Email
This clever new phishing scam is fooling small businesses. The message looks like an email alert from accounting software QuickBooks, but it’s really a phishing con.
How the Scam Works:
You receive an email with the subject line “QuickBooks Support: Change Request.” The message is “confirming” that you changed your business name with Intuit, QuickBook’s manufacturer. However, you never made such a request. It must be a mistake, but fortunately the email contains a link to cancel.
Pause before you click! Scammers know that you didn’t make this request, and the link to cancel is simply bait. It downloads malware to your device, which scammers use to capture passwords or hunt for sensitive information on your machine. This can open you up to identity theft.
How to Spot a Phishing Scam:
Always be wary of expected emails that contains links of attachments. Here are some other ways to spot phishing messages.
- Check the reply email address. One easy way to spot an email scam is to look at the reply email. The address should be on a company domain, such as firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Check the destination of links: Hover over links to see where they lead. Be sure the link points to the correct domain (www.companyname.com) not a variation, such as companyname.othersite.com or almostcompanyname.com. Scammers can get creative, so look closely.
- Consider how the organization normally contacts you. If an organization normally reaches you by mail, be suspicious if you suddenly start receiving emails or text messages without ever opting in to the new communications.
- Be cautious of generic emails. Scammers try to cast a wide net by including little or no specific information in their fake emails. Be especially wary of messages you have not subscribed to or companies you have never done business with in the past.
- Don't believe what you see. Just because an email looks real, doesn't mean it is. Scammers can fake anything from a company logo to the "Sent" email address.
Online Financial Safety Tips
Jan 01, 2017
Be Smart Online.
The internet makes many everyday tasks faster and more convenient, like shopping, researching products, banking, searching for health information, and communicating on the go. Get tips for being safe and making the most of your time online.
Jan 01, 2016
Scam artists use clever schemes to defraud millions of people around the globe each year. Being on guard online can help you maximize the benefits of the internet and minimize your chance of being defrauded. Learn how to recognize common scams and what you can do to avoid them.